Saturday, November 1, 2008

More wildlife

http://nwf.org/backyard/

Create a certified wildlife habitat? I recently saw in someone's front yards an NWG Certified Wildlife Habitat sign. I wondered what this was all about. The sign I thought was very impressive and did what it is supposed to (later I saw this on a Web site - the sign is supposed to show a committment to wildlife conservation and the environment and help spread the word to neighbors).

Then, I realized I had a booklet at home (did I get the booklet from the zoo or Natural History Museum) about inviting wildlife into your backyard.

The booklet explained about http://nwf.org/backyard/ and then I saw how the details on how to create and then certify a wildlife habitat. This habitat can be your back yard or any other area, such a suitable area in a city. To qualify an area - it can be any size - must have the four basic elements that all wildlife need - food, shelter (cover), water, and places to raise young.

Food sources include native plants, seeds, fruits, nuts, berries, and nectar.

Water sources include birdbath, pond, water garden, and stream.

Places for cover include a thicket, rockpile, vegetation.

Places to raise young include dense shrubs, vegetation, nesting boxes, and ponds.

Sustainable gardening includes mulch, compost, a rain garden, and chemical-free fertilizer.

Raccoons have been coming to our back yard often. They are also making holes in the neighbor's grass. I see deer in the area all the time. We have lots of other animals like birds, butterflies, and squirrels.

No comments: