Wednesday, September 26, 2007

War, etc.

I learned more from Ken Burns' documentary about WWII than anything else I have seen or read about WWII and war in general (and I have tried throughout the years to learn more about both, especially about WWII and what it must have been like for my parents).

When I saw people in his documentatry talking about the war and crying, it reminded me of my mother talking about the war. She had a great deal of trouble talking about it and tears often came when she tried.

I often wondered how exactly so many millions of people perish during a war. Burns explained it better than I have ever seen when he showed how hundreds would die daily due to starvation, dehydration, beatings, etc. I guess you have to really try hard for so many people to die daily. Of course you hope and pray we never see a war on that scale again, or, for that matter, any scale.

The mogrel scum is what Burns pointed out Hitler called Americans. One of the people featured in the documentary pointed out that our solders were like a mini-version of America where all kinds of people had to learn to get along - black, white, Latino, Italian, German, Japanese, you name it. That sounds exactly right about America. I wish we could do it better. Sometimes I think while we do better than some.